These are the Best Walt Disney World Tips to the Pixar Attractions
The birth of Pixar films truly took the world by storm. I remember when I saw Toy Story for the first time and was in awe at the new animation style and the very fun and whimsical characters on screen. Disney knew this partnership would be magical. They knew that guests would go nutsy cuckoo over the characters, movies, and all the charm and sweetness attached. The Disney parks have adapted the characters and brought them to life for guests to enjoy. Here are our Walt Disney World tips and ultimate guide to all the current and near future Pixar attractions by film at the Orlando Parks.
Our Walt Disney World Tips to All the Parks’ Pixar Attractions
So let’s start at the beginning! Toy Story was the first Pixar film to be released. It received such high acclaim with audience reaction warranting 2 additional sequels, with a 4th in the making. Guests and Disney enthusiasts loved the franchise so much that Walt Disney World Orlando and the parks across the globe have created and imagineered attractions featuring the beloved characters we have all embraced. Here is the lowdown on current attractions featuring the Toy Story characters as well as what we know about Toy Story Land opening June 30th 2018!
Toy Story Land
So the highly anticipated addition to Disney’s Hollywood Studios has guests buzzing and excited to see favourite characters brought to life. What we know is the following:
- Andy’s backyard is an attraction in the park and will feature more than 400 toy blocks! How authentic!
- There will be giant footprints made by Andy throughout the parks!
- Worried about the Crowds during the initial grand opening time frame? No worries! Walt Disney World is offering extended park hours for the month of July for the additional crowds.
- The Slinky Dog Dash is the attraction many are looking forward to! It will be a family roller coaster similar to the Barnstormer, but I hope it will be a little better 🙂
- The Saucers attraction is another highly anticipated attraction here at the new Toy Story Land. This ride will be such fun spinning in a saucer driven by one of the aliens.
- All the attractions are built purposely to make you feel the size of a toy!
- One of the quick service restaurants that will be on site is “Woody’s Lunch Box”
- There will be some great meet and greets! At the moment, the Toy Story characters you can meet include Buzz Lightyear, Woody, and the green army colonel. in Toy Story Land, I am SO HAPPY to hear that Jessie will be a new addition!! She’s my FAVOURITE character from the Toy Story movies and cannot wait to meet her!
One of our handy Walt Disney World Tips: When planning your fast passes, similar to the Pandora world of Avatar attractions, you can only choose one of the attractions in Toy Story Land for your initial 3 choices.
Toy Story Ranger Spin
There are a couple of Toy Story attractions in the Disney Magic Kingdom. First, is the Toy Story Ranger spin ride. Similar to the one featured in Hollywood Studios (though I found it harder!), this ride gives guests the opportunity to shoot targets like a carnival game. Fast passes are highly recommended for this ride located in Tomorrowland as it is a guest favourite, especially with young kids!
Some Walt Disney World Tips about Toy Story Ranger Spin!
- The vision of this ride is for guests to help Buzz Lightyear defeat Emperor Zurg.
- The ride opened in 1998!
- One of the biggest scoring points is in the second room at the top of the volcano. For the biggest secret, check out our secrets post!
- The highest score attainable is 999,999!
One of our BIGGEST Walt Disney World Tips: if you score 999,999, make sure you tell a cast member, they usually give a little surprise for those who achieve this!
Meet Buzz Lightyear
After you take a spin on the Toy Story Ranger Rider spin, be sure to stop and take a photo with Buzz Lightyear! There is no fast pass option here, but a Memory Maker photographer is on site to get some memorable photographs. The lines can get hefty, so make sure you’re prepared for a bit of a wait. The wait is worth it though as Buzz spends a few minutes with each guest and stamps autograph books.
Frontierland Meet and Greets
If you are lucky, you just may get the chance to meet Woody and Jessie in Frontierland! Now, I must admit that I have not seen them here in a long time, and I caught the Hoedown and Characterpalooza random meet ups. So this experience isn’t guaranteed, but if you’re lucky, you may get to see them here!
Toy Story Mania!
Similar to the Toy Story Ranger Spin, enjoy a ride shooting targets competing against other guests! I found this one easier than Toy Story Ranger Spin as the targets are easier to hit. There are some really cool strategies out there to nail the targets and earn very high scores!
Fun Facts and Walt Disney World Tips about Toy Story Mania!
- The main difference between this ride and the Toy Story Ranger Spin is the setting. Toy Story Ranger Spin is Buzz Lightyear’s back story and defeating Emperor Zurg. While the Toy Story Mania! ride’s facade is Andy’s carnival game he received for his birthday.
- This ride made history with its opening a month after Toy Story Ranger Spin and being nearly the same concept. Identical and similar rides have opened at different parks around the world, but not at the same complex and in the same time frame.
- The ride has had updates to include Toy Story 3 characters.
- The imagineers wanted guests to immerse into the experience so they painted quite a few of the artworks with 3D glasses themselves.
Another one of our Walt Disney World Tips: We actually reveal one of these secrets within our Disney World Secrets post!
Pixar Place Meet and Greets
After spinning with Buzz, head to the meet and greet area to get autographs from Woody, Buzz if you couldn’t wait for him in Magic Kingdom, and possibly the Army Colonel! Until Toy Story Land opens, this is your best opportunity to meet Toy Story characters.
A Bug’s Life
Are you a fan of Flik and friends? Well, there is representation of A Bug’s life at Disney Animal Kingdom! If you time your visit right, you can maybe meet Flik right outside the official ride – It’s Tough to Be a Bug.
It’s Tough to Be a Bug! Walt Disney World Tips and Fun facts:
- This ride was an opening day attraction at the Animal Kingdom!
- Jane Goodall noticed no primates were carved into the centre Tree of Life at the Animal Kingdom. As this seemed like an oversight, the imagineers honoured the observation by adding a carved chimp into the tree at the entrance to the It’s Tough to be a Bug! ride. There is also a plaque detailing her contribution to animal sciences.
- Listen closely! Cheech and Chong lend their voices to characters in the attraction.
I just love Sulley and Mike! And those who love them as much as I do, will be happy to know that there is an attraction that features them and the whole gang from Monster headquarters.
Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
This is one of my favourite attractions at the Magic Kingdom. Perhaps because the heckling is so funny, especially thanks to them targeting particular adult audience members throughout the performance. Located in Tomorrowland, this fun show will have you giggling all day long. The Monsters engage with the audience, tell family-friendly jokes, and entertain audiences day in and day out.
Some Walt Disney World Fun Facts About Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor
- The voices of the Monsters are actually real actors behind the screen!
- Upon arrival, if you submit a joke within the short time window before the show, it could be featured in the presentation!
- There is no set script with the show so every time you see it, it is different!
Finding Nemo/Finding Dory
This is one of my favourite of all the Pixar films! And i’m definitely not alone. There are a few attractions featuring the beloved characters from the film including Nemo, Marlin, and over course, Dory within the Disney parks in Orlando.
The seas with Nemo and friends
In Future Wold, you will find the delightful ride featuring all your favourite characters from Finding Nemo and Finding Dory! (I ADORE Hank to bits!!!). The ride immerses guests under the sea (similar to the Little Mermaid ride in Fantasyland, Magic Kingdom). Here are a few facts about this delightful riding that gives guests the opportunity to get up close and personal with these delightful Pixar characters. After the ride, head up to the second floor to see Bruce and the rest of the shark gang as you learn more about the ride and how to help marine life.
The Seas with Nemo and Friends Walt Disney World Tips and Facts:
- In the Aquarium above the ride, there are more than 80,000 animals of over 80 species! That is seriously WOW.
- The Seas with Nemo and Friends opened after refurbishment from the old ride in 2007.
- Did you know? You can actually scuba dive in the aquarium if you have certification? This experience is offered to guests daily and can be pre-booked ahead of your trip. Price is approx. $179
- You can also snorkel if you are like me and unable to scuba dive for health reasons. This experience is $145 approx, and can be booked ahead of time which is HIGHLY recommended.
- Feeling smart? Well, let Mr. Ray (my favourite character from the first movie!) test your knowledge of marine life! His quizzes are offered throughout the day on the second floor.
- The window panels on the sides of the aquarium weigh 9000 pounds each! Whoa…..
- And, for those of us who are totally into Animal experiences that are for conservation purposes, this one will be up your alley. Cast members and certified marine biologists are working hard using this aquarium to preserve and save endangered and threatened marine life.
Turtle Talk with Crush
This fun show that interacts with the audience is a great way to get up close and personal with our favourite turtle – Crush! He will talk with the audience, ask funny questions, and create a totally unique and entertaining experience. Similar to the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, each show is different as audience members are never the same.
Walt Disney World Tips and Facts about Turtle Talk with Crush
- Live performers act out Crush for the duration of the show!
- The show is different with each audience. It has some scripted material, but the rest is completely improv!
- Crush moves through digital puppetry of the performers! How amazing.
- If an audience member asks the location of favourite characters from the films, they will appear on screen!
Finding Nemo- The Musical
This adorable show brings Finding Nemo’s charming story to the stage. If you have seen the film, you memory will be jogged as you see your favourite characters brought to life. I found the acting, the costumes, the animatronics, and sets absolutely incredible and a true representation of Pixar’s animation and design brilliance. Shows run for 40 minutes and do have Fast Passes if you wish priority seating. This may be a great option if you have young kids who cannot see too far up from the stage.
Our Walt Disney World Tips and Facts About Finding Nemo – The Musical
- The Musical has been entertaining guests at the Animal Kingdom since 2007!
- The same composer wrote 14 songs for this musical that wrote the music for Frozen!
- Before Finding Nemo arrived to the theatre, musical adaptations of the Jungle Book and Tarzan entertained guests! When Animal Kingdom opened on Earth Day in 1998, the Jungle Book was the opening musical show.
- The theatre is the largest of all theatres at the Animal Kingdom and is located in DinoLand.
Bonus: Art of Animation Resort
Are you staying on property? If you are a Finding Nemo and Finding Dory fan, than you have to check out the Art of Animation resort! With the largest pool on the resort themed for the underwater films, you will love posing with the various characters as you just keep swimming. Enjoy underwater music as well while you enjoy your time by the pool.
The Incredibles/ Incredibles 2
Fans of the these adorable superheros will be tickled pink to know of the event coming to Walt Disney World resort June 15 – Incredible Summer!
Tomorrowland will be jammed packed with Incredible fun including meet and greets with Mr Incredible, Elastigirl, and Frozone! But that’s not all! Edna Mode, who advises superhero “NO CAPES!” and is the best costume designer will be arriving at the park to meet guests for the first time EVER. If you can get there for this event, it will so be worth to meet additional characters from the usual ones that frequent the parks.
Cars 1,2 &3
These films have been favourites of guests for over a decade! And Disney took notice of this admiration and has added some Cars attractions to the Disney Parks. Here at Walt Disney World resort, the attractions are down to only one at Hollywood Studios and featured sculptures at the Art of Animation Resort.
Meet Cruz Ramirez
Line up in Pixar place to get an exclusive meet and greet with Cruz Ramirez! She appears throughout the day for those memorable photographs. There is no Fast Pass, but there is a Memory Maker photographer to snap some great pictures.
The Art of Animation Resort
Here are your opportunities to get photographs with your favourite characters in Radiator Springs and take dip in the pool at the Kozy Kone! I adore Doc and was thrilled to have met him 🙂
So Remy and Emilio fans, at the moment at the Walt Disney World resort in Florida, there are no Ratatouille attractions. Disneyland Paris does have an attraction in place as well as a restaurant and rare meet and greets. But don’t fret! the France area of Epcot’s World Showcase is undergoing some refurbishment to bring Ratatouille to the park! Stay tuned for updates on this new attraction coming soon.
Sadly, at the moment there are no Wall-E character meet and greets or attractions at the Walt Disney World Resort. Perhaps with the Pixar Pier opening in Anaheim there will be the possibility of them doing Characterpalooza or special meet ups during holiday events, but at the moment, you will have to settle with a Wall-E or Eve mug or limited edition pins i’m afraid.
This is one of my favourite Pixar films. I do bawl my eyes out at the beginning, but that is because I can totally relate to Carl and Ellie and think of my husband like that. The good news is that although many feel Up didn’t perform as well as other Pixar films (Arguable!!) there are a few attractions available.
The Animal Kingdom
Meet Russell and See Dug on video
At the Animal Kingdom, you can meet the adorable boy scout that travelled with Mr Frederickson to Paradise Falls – Russell! He is accompanied by a Memory Maker photographer and will spend a few minutes with you. If you have the Memory Maker package, a special video with Dug is also included in the experience!
New Bird Show!
So the talk at the moment is of a new bird show coming to Animal Kingdom inspired by the film Up and the protection of beloved “Kevin.” Stay tuned for updates, but this show is looking to be an absolutely incredible attractions bringing birds into the limelight. The show which opened in 2018 commemorates the 20th anniversary of Animal Kingdom’s park opening!
This is one of my husband’s favourite Disney Pixar films and one of his favourite princesses! This Scottish delight will have you whistling and wishing you were heading to the Highlands. There is one attraction that will please Brave Fans – the opportunity to meet Merida! The Scottish beauty appears daily in the Fairytale Garden of Fantasyland with a Memory Maker photographer. While there, marvel at the family tapestry, Merida’s bow collection and many more Brave isms. There are no Fast Passes for this meet and greet, so get there early to avoid lengthy lines.
This film was adorable! I truly thought it was one of the most unique Pixar films created. At the moment for those of us who love the film, the only attraction is meeting Joy and Sadness at Epcot. This was such fun! I have considered getting my hair done just like Joy’s. Something to think about possibly! You cannot get Fast Passes to meet them, but Memory Maker photographers are on site.
The Good Dinosaur
My hubby is a big fan of this film! Sadly there are no Good Dinosaur attractions or meet and greets at the parks. But you never know, this could change considering there is a DinoLand at Animal Kingdom…
The latest addition to the the Pixar franchise! I loved this film and how they incorporated Mexican culture and immersed audiences straight into Mexican tradition and customs. Gael….no words on his portrayal of Hector. For those who loved this film, you will love the fact that the Mexico area of the World Showcase at Epcot features scenes and props from the film. Rumours are still flying abut the possibility of converting the boat ride into a more Coco themed experience, but this has yet to be confirmed. For now, enjoy the foyer of the pavilion as well as some exclusive merchandise available in the marketplace.
Walt Disney World Tips – Pixar Souvenir favourite Picks
You can grab some super cool souvenirs at Disney World. I go into great detail on my favourite choices in this post, and came home with quite a few of them! Here are some Pixar beauties that you should consider make room for in your suitcase.
Hank – Finding Dory
I adore Hank! The Septopus with an attitude! Ed O’neill made him such a loveable character that he truly made me love the movie. You can get him at many booths around the parks, but I saw him quite frequently near the Finding Nemo – the Musical theatre in Animal Kingdom.
I adore Up as you have read and when I saw the Dug plushies on the shelf seriously fell for him. They are so cute and I love how the cone of shame is around his neck even on the plushies for added authenticity.
You can get tons of really cool pins of the Pixar characters at the parks! Remember, for the most part these are open release pins which are readily available at the parks, but if you do some trading or ask cast members, there just may be limited edition pins with your favourite Pixar pals.
Toy Story Light Up Cups
Eat at the Animal Kingdom Lodge awaiting our Starlight Safari (review coming soon!) I ordered a drink and got the sweetest light-up Buzz Lightyear figurine attached to the straw. The cup you can keep as well as your fun figurine. These are also available in other characters, but I particularly thought Buzz was adorable.
In the Mexico area of the World Showcase, be sure to check out all the super cool souvenirs available from the movie Coco! Personally, I would just LOVE a Dante dog. How about you?
So there you have our guide to the attractions currently featuring the characters from the Disney Pixar films! I cannot wait until Toy Story Land opens to get truly immersed in the magic. What character would you like to meet? What would you like to see at the parks from the Pixar films?
Need help planning your trip to Disney World? Check out our itineraries, restaurant reviews, packing tips and more free things to do at Disney World here.
Book your Disney World tickets here!
Check out our incredible travel essentials for your next trip in our shop!
Travelling outside your home base? Don’t be a ninny and go without insurance!
We do not work for and are not affiliated with Disney in any way. All our opinions are our own and based on our own experience or extensive research.