The best Guide Full of Disney Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Strategy and tips
One of the most incredible qualities about Walt Disney World is the amount of things to see and do. Mind you, to some guests it can be an overwhelming task to plan the ultimate magical trip, while others relish the thought of every last second be taken care of with scavenger hunts, rides, shows, shopping, and fun activities like the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom game. We love this because lesser known and featured characters get to step up to the podium and enjoy the spotlight for a little while with their favourite people on earth – guests. Here are our true tested Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom strategy tips, tricks, and guide to one of my favourite things to do at the Magic Kingdom.
Book a Tour: Disney World: 1-Day Magic Kingdom Ticket
So What the Heck is the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom?
Newbies to the Disney abyss may not know exactly what i’m talking about. Trust me friends, it isn’t gibberish. It is a fun activity to do while in the Magic Kingdom Park that can become your next official addiction. (and you thought pin trading already took this title….).
Head to the Fire Station in Main Street USA. (Not sure where this is or unfamiliar with the magic of this land the so many skip? Check out our guide here.)
Here, you can sign up to play Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, learn the basics of the game – a great starting point to Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdoms strategy, and take in the tutorial from Merlin – wonky wizard from The Sword in the Stone.
Book a Tour: Disney World: Magic Your Way 3-Day Ticket
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Logistics and Facts:
- The fun trading card game that takes guests around the park is FREE with park admission.
- Sign up as mentioned above, at the Fire Station located to the right of Guest Relations on Main Street USA.
- Make sure you have your magic band as it is programmed on there.
- The progress you make is valid for 18 MONTHS. If you visit after this time frame, you will start back at the beginning.
- You and all those in your party signed up will receive new spell cards each day of your visit.
- Got doubles? No worries! You can trade up to 3 at the HQ in the Fire Station with the cast members and other spots throughout the park.
- Want some fun accessories? The cards may be free, but if you want a nice album, special edition cards, or anything else, you can nab these in many souvenir shops. The best selection is at the Emporium on Main Street USA.
- Upon Signing up, you will not only get your first pack of cards, but also your master key card to start playing as well as an interactive map to show you the rough area where the next portal you need to find is located.
- The Key card is super important as it is embedded with a chip to allow opening of portals and to track your progress through the game. Don’t lose it 🙂
- There are some very special cards to collect. First, there are some cast-member exclusives and if you attend a special event – The Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party or Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party, make sure you pick up the exclusive cards released only for attendees of these events. They can be picked up at the Firehouse.
- There are several levels to achieve in the game. The first round involves defeating Hades. Once you beat him, you can get a new set of cards from the Firehouse and can opt to go up a level to a more difficult challenge. You can also remain at the level you are at. The selection of cards to defeat villains involves more Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom strategy though if you increase your difficulty level.
- As the game is quite popular especially with families, you will probably have to wait at the portals for your turn. I have had to wait upward 30 mins at certain ones. The whole game can take 5-6 hours to complete if you do it start to finish without breaks.
- Perhaps if this is your first time to Walt Disney World, rethink getting heavily involved in the game. If you have more than one day at Magic Kingdom, this is definitely a great inclusion to your itinerary.
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Back Story
So you are all set to embark on the ultimate quest to battle the beloved Disney Villains. But, you wonder how an awesome experience came to be? Well here is the back story facts of the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom – a fun and interactive experience for all to enjoy at the park.
- The initial project idea came to be in 2012.
- The first inkling of the new experience for guests was hinted by Jonathan Freeman (performer in Aladdin: The Musical) that he was joining the cast for a new initiative that would have guests defeating villains at the Magic Kingdom through spell cards.
- Fun fact: There are 2 versions of the Woody card – one with and one without Slinky Dog. They had to redo the card without Slinky as the rights to use him were not in place for the experience.
The Game’s Story…
So, Hades is a bored villain. When you have too much time on your hands, you are liable to get into mischief. Well, he does by sending Pain and Panic to Merlin’s place to steal the Crystal of the Magic Kingdom. But during the heist, Merlin awakens as the Park would become in total peril should they make off with the magical piece. During the altercation, the crystal shatters and pieces scatter throughout the parks. As a result, Hades recruits fellow villains on his pursuit to collect the pieces. These partners in crime include: Maleficent, Scar, Jafar, Yzma, and Cruella De Vil to name a few.
Book a Tour: Disney World: Magic Your Way 5-Day Ticket
Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Strategy and Tips
So with all games and fun activities, there are always tips, tricks, hints, and more. Our Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom strategy points will help you make the most of the game while in the parks. We love it and thoroughly enjoy the extra magic it brings to a Disney vacation. To us it is a definite staple within our Magic Kingdom itinerary.
The Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Portals
So after you go through the first tutorial portal in the Firehouse, you will be directed to find the next portal. These are hidden in the various areas of the park, except Tomorrowland. The map you are provided will help you navigate the game and point you in the right direction. To identify a portal, you will see the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom token emblem on the ground. Arrive at the wrong portal? No problem! The villains are programmed to let you know and advise you of which one you need to find based on your progress in the game.
Once you have arrived at the Portals…
So if you looked at my picture above, you will see that I’m not only standing on the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom official seal that denotes a discovered portal, but I’m also holding up a card. I will now explain to you the steps when you find the correct portal in your quest.
1 – FIRST, scan your magic band to the key hole at the portal. This will ensure that YOUR game is captured during the experience.
2 – Next, stand on the seal and listen to the instructions on the portal screen.
Pro-tip: Some portals are very quiet. Get up close to them so you can read the subtitles. As well, when the sun is bright during the day, some portals are difficult to see. Just keep this in mind when playing.
3 – When the portal instructs, hold up the spell card of your choice to defeat the villain in question. Make sure you are standing on the seal and have the card with the spell facing the portal screen. You need to be exact or in very close vicinity for it to work and actually capture the details.
4 – The portal will tell you if you defeated the villain or not. If you didn’t, you will be instructed where to go and same if you have defeated it.
5 – Follow all around the park using the instructions of the portal paired with the map.
6 – While on your quest, if you see other sorcerers, why not trade a few doubles? Everyone wants to complete the collection and this is a very common occurrence in the parks. Just maintain the same etiquette as in pin trading. Don’t pester a guest and accept their response if they do not wish to trade a particular card with you.
Dissecting the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Cards
So you are now sucked into the Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom abyss. You have entered the portals, bought your spell binder, scanned your magic band, and are now defeating villains. But how do you choose which card to use? Here we will go into detail for you.
- First of all there are 70 numbered Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom spell cards. Each has a different value and character upon it.
- The first 1-22 cards are the rarer bunch. They have a star on the bottom corner. These can be obtained through the trading card packs.
- Cards 23-40 have a moon symbol at the bottom and are called “uncommon” spell cards. You can obtain these through the free card packs and by trading through the parks.
- Cards 41-60 are the common ones and will have a planet at the bottom of them.
- Cards 61-70 are special cards you can only receive if you purchase the bonus add-on packs from the gift shop.
- Each card has a specific spell. They are good on their own in the beginner level and then are strategically paired with others to defeat villains in the medium and hard levels.
- There are many different card classes: Fairy, Warrior, Animal, Hero, Machine, Monster, Mystic, Princess, and Toy.
Final Tips and Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom Strategy
So you have immersed yourself in the magic of helping Merlin defeated Hades and all his villainous friends. You have collected spells along the way and developed quite a collection. You have taken your doubles and traded them along the quest to solve the portal incantations. You have become the ultimate Sorcerer of the Magic Kingdom. What now? Well, the game is a permanent fixture at the parks and your progress as mentioned will remain stored on your magic band for 18 months. Try to complete the game before you leave, or you may face restarting from the beginning.
Overall we found the game and experience fun. It does bring a difference of opinion among guests and you will find when you play those who love it and those who are only trying it because it is something unique to do while there. Soon after you sign up, you will know which side of the coin you rest upon. Play a few rounds, battle it out and defeat villains, and at this point make up your mind. We loved seeing the rarer characters have a bit of the limelight. As true nostalgic Disney fans, although we love the craze for the princesses, we do also love seeing the characters whose reign in popularity led into forced abdication. It is a personal preference, but I do love the game and look forward to continuing the quest with every visit. I am willing to bet that you will feel the same.
Need help planning your trip to Disney? Check out our Disney Library here.
Book your Disney World tickets here!
Check out our incredible travel essentials for your next trip in our shop!
Travelling outside your home base? Don’t be a ninny and go without insurance!
We do not work for and are not affiliated with Disney in any way. All our opinions are our own and based on our own experience and/or extensive research.