This is why you Need to Eat at Skipper Canteen Disney World
When you spend a day or two at the Disney Magic Kingdom parks, you will definitely get hungry. Disney knows this very well and ensures there is choice for guests no matter what size appetite or diet restrictions. While we were in the Magic Kingdom park, we decided to give Skipper Canteen Disney World a try.
Jungle Skipper Canteen Facts
- The restaurant can hold 222 people
- It is a tribute to one of the favourite and original attractions at Disney World – The Jungle Cruise
- The imagineers are recognized throughout the restaurant in various areas, but in particular within the library books.
- If you look closely to the books, you will see nods to the Enchanted Tiki room, the Jungle Cruise, Swiss Family Robinson tree house, and other Adventureland attractions.
- The upstairs offices are nods to the imagineers who had a hand in creating the Jungle Cruise ride – the inspiration for this adventurous nautical style restaurant.
- In particular check out the office to Skipper Marc – tribute to imagineer Marc Davis who imagineered such attractions in his careers as the Haunted Mansion, the Jungle Cruise, and the Country Bears Jamboree.
- Check out some of the decor closer to the ceiling – some of it is an acknowledgment to the Jingle Cruise homage created during the Christmas season and during Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party.
Jungle Skipper Canteen Meal
I thoroughly enjoyed this meal at the Magic Kingdom park. Make sure you make your reservations in advance! Few restaurants in the Magic Kingdom can accommodate walk-ins. The Jungle Skipper Canteen has been known to have availability now and then, but these occasions are not guaranteed.
Upon arrival, you are escorted to your table in one of three dining areas. Each full of charm and accurately to them, no matter where you sit, you will feel like you are in the jungle and on a boat.
As we had the meal plan that includes an entree and a dessert, I opted for a starter instead of a dessert on this occasion. The hot and sour soup served was very flavourful and had the perfect balance of the hot and sour flavours. I enjoyed having a soup as this being the first night of my holiday here at Disney, I would be enjoying a number of Disney Magic Kingdom snacks and they definitely would be calorific….
I decided to give the daily fish a try and my husband opted for the lamb chops. Both meals proved flavourful cooked to order, and had the right amount of herbs and spices. I enjoyed the fish as I don’t usually order seafood in restaurants and after a long day on flights and checking in to the hotel, I decided to enjoy a lighter meal than red meat. I was pleasantly surprised.
My husband stated that the lamb chops were cooked beautifully. A lover of lamb cooked various ways, he was pleased with the quality of his dish. He said it was cooked the way he liked it, it was tender, and the flavours were definitely coming through with each bite.
For dessert as it was my birthday, the Skipper Canteen cast members brought me a celebratory brownie with a lit candle to make a wish. It definitely was a wonderful treat to start off our magical holiday at the Disney World Resort. Their dessert selection is quite tempting, but as I had the starter, this was the only dessert I ate. Some of your choices for dessert include mango sherbet, ice cream, and a chocolate banana cake.
Well, I must admit – I love the new perk for adults on the meal plan. An alcoholic beverage is included with your table service meals! One of my favourite drinks is sangria so I was tickled pink to see it on the drink menu at the Skipper Canteen. I have to say that it was a very good sangria – one of the best I’ve had! It was just the right amount of sweetness combined with the fruit and spirits. It was definitely a highlight to our experience.
Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our experience here. If you are looking for a restaurant with great meal choices, excellent drinks, and great desserts, this restaurant is for you. The adults in your crowd may appreciate this restaurant more than the children, but it definitely should be included on your Magic Kingdom itinerary. For the kids, perhaps book a character dining meal. They are tough to nail, but reservations can be made 6 months in advance.
Need help planning your romantic trip to Disney World? Check out our itineraries, restaurant reviews, packing tips and more free things to do at Disney World here.
Book your tickets here!
Get our incredible Free Journal on the sidebar here.
Check out our incredible travel essentials for your next trip in our shop!
Travelling outside your home base? Don’t be a ninny and go without insurance!
We do not work for and are not affiliated with Disney in any way. All our opinions are our own and based on our own experience or extensive research.